Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Working on my fitness

Yesterday, I activated a one-year membership to our local YMCA that I received from my dad as a very, very generous Christmas gift. I had a free session with a trainer, and he took me through a variety of strength activities, as well as a little bit of cardio.
I am super-sore today, especially in my arms and chest. The treadmill is my comfort zone and my happy place, and I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I was happy to meet with the trainer, as we walked through some workouts and set some goals I hope I will be able to achieve.
I'm not allowed to look at the scale for two weeks, as the trainer is trying to get me to focus on how I feel rather than how many pounds I've lost.
My plan right now is to work out two times a week for the next two to three weeks, and try to get through the holidays without giving up. I think with the other program I was in ( a weight-loss contest of sorts) I was more interested in winning then pacing myself and making eventual changes that would work for me. I overloaded myself, working out five times a week and volunteering and going to Bible study, and I didn't think about how fast I would burn out.
One thing the program did show me is that I can reduce my diet by a bit without being too terribly deprived, and that I am capable of losing weight. I lost about 20 pounds at 1 point, from switching to diet cola and working out, but I have gained some of that back. I just need to maintain the workouts.
If you, dear reader, want to support me with a "Keep it up!" on Facebook or something, that would be wonderfully motivating. I am trying to be realistic this time, and really take baby steps, so hopefully I will be able to do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment