Sunday, October 6, 2013

Feeling accomplished

I mentioned before that part of my struggle as a new mom who happens to be staying at home is feeling like I'm not doing anything. I know I am nurturing a child and maintaining a household, but nobody seems to want to pay me for that. And for a very, very long time, I have not really been maintaining the household, just basically keeping the walls from falling down around us. There's a poem, "Song for a Fifth Child," that says "Quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep! / I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." 
I've tried to keep this stanza to heart as I watch dishes pile up, but I am starting to believe part of my recovery or sanity, if you will, has to be finding the time to keep a tidier house. I am using Pinterest to find chore schedules and tweak one to our house's needs, and I'm using an app called "Unf*ck Your Habitat" to motivate myself. 
I feel like a major mood booster at the end of the day is being able to say, I went on a walk, the baby tried a new food, we read three books, AND I organized the pantry, folded and put away three loads of laundry and tidied the kitchen and living rooms. 
I know some days are always going to be better than others, but I think taking pride in my household is important to keeping my head up.

No comments:

Post a Comment