Sunday, February 15, 2015

Mythbusters drinking game

I am a longtime fan of Mythbusters, the show on Discovery that combines science, and usually explosions, to great entertainment value. Now, almost two years ago when my daughter was born, nearly the whole show was available to stream on Netflix, so I became intimately acquainted with the minutiae of the available episodes. For inexplicable reasons, the "collections" don't include some episodes that did air in the past, but that's not important right now.
 I have a habit, which I'm sure is maddening to my loved ones, of preferring to re-watch things I've already seen (movies or TV shows) instead of venturing into unwatched territory. I have watched every available episode of Mythbusters at least three times, if not more. I would do really, freakishly well on a Mythbusters trivia show, if such a thing existed. So this post has been rolling around in my head for a while now.
The show's seen cast shakeups in its past, but none has been more upsetting to me personally than Kari, Grant and Tory getting the axe. With that said, I have enjoyed the new season (though I think it was stupid to make the Simpsons episode the season premiere) and I've written this game to be applicable to episodes throughout the show's run.
Presented with love to current and former cast, and despite the fact that I don't drink, here is the Mythbusters drinking game. Please don't get alcohol poisoning.

Mythbusters Drinking Game

Take a sip every time:
  • Adam cracks a joke about Jamie
  • Jamie and Adam disagree on how to go about an experiment
  • An item is used in a way it was never intended to be used
  • Adam gets to do something he's wanted to do since he was a small child
  • Jamie says "oops" or giggles
  • Jamie inflicts pain on Adam gleefully
  • Something doesn't explode when it should have
  • Something does explode when it shouldn't have
  • The cement truck exploding is referenced
  • A special guest or expert appears
  • An episode is dedicated to a special theme


Famous phrases:
  • "Don't try this at home, we're what you call experts."
  • "Am I missing an eyebrow?"
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
  • "Remember, kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!"
  • "This is why we can never have anything nice."
  • "This is my little pop gun."
  • "When in doubt, C4."
  • "I need a grinectomy!"
  • "Jamie want big boom."
  • "Failure is always an option."
  • "Quack, damn you!"
  • "My toast always lands butta side up!"
  • "This is one of those "What the hell am I doing?" moments."
  • "I kinda like it in here, it's private."
  • "Do you feel God?"
  • "I wouldn't say Jamie's an *evil* genius."
  • "This is starting to feel like a bad idea."
  • "Our death ray doesn't seem to be working."
  • "High explosives and electricity, woo hoo!"
  • "Here comes chaos!"
  • "That is MESSED UP!"
  • "Holy crap, run!"


Kari, Grant and Tory
  • Footage of Tory crashing the bicycle is used
  • A variation on "Hope such-and-such likes Asian/Italian food!"
  • They go full scale before testing in small scale and fuck up
  • Fan service shot of Kari in something sexy like the R2D2 dress
  • Lampshading of the fan service shot (for example, Tory in the Leia costume)
  • Someone barfs
  • Tory hurts himself
  • Grant references Star Wars or Star Trek


Apocrypha:
  • A show features Jessie Nelson or Christine Chamberlain the mythterns; Scottie Chapman or Jessi Combs, or folklorist Heather Joseph-Withham


If you want alcohol poisoning, in addition to the above rules, drink every time:
  • The narrator makes a pun
  • Something is blown up
  • Someone says "Butter zone"
  • Someone says "Well, there's your problem."
  • Buster is used
  • A "human analog" (other dummy or pig carcass) is used
  • An alcohol myth is tested and the cast get daytime drunk

No comments:

Post a Comment