Thursday, October 22, 2015

Aiming for "peaceful"

Yesterday, I saw a post encouraging moms to support each other despite their different parenting styles or philosophies. I'm totally behind that, 100 percent, but one of the pictures got me thinking. One of the moms held a sign that said "I yell at my kids sometimes" and the other mom said "I practice peaceful parenting."
That's the point at which I said, "Oh yeah, I was gonna do that."
Parenting Beyond Punishment says,
Peaceful parenting is using intentional, gentle ways to guide children using empathetic and cooperative solutions versus trying to control their behavior with bribes, yelling, and punishments. It involves working with children by listening, understanding, responding and communicating with intention.
When I was pregnant, and when Cora was an infant, I was totally going to be a peaceful parent, I was never, ever, ever going to yell at my daughter.
Now that she's 2.5 years old, I'm astonished to say that's fallen by the wayside. Not that there's a LOT of yelling, but yeah, sometimes there's some yelling. The two things that get me the most frustrated are when my kid wastes food and when she repeatedly endangers herself. She is constantly trying to climb the oven and see the stovetop. I don't think I need to explain to anyone older than age 4 why that's a bad idea, but she tries to do it ALL THE TIME.
And then there's the food waste. One of my fellow warrior moms shared the photo below on Facebook.
 Except in our house, it's bananas, literally. My child will take one bite of a banana and then put the rest in the trash. She will eat one bite of almost anything, but it's about impossible to get her to eat a whole serving of anything.
It frustrates me when I realize I've zoned out and she's painted 3 square feet around her with pudding, or poured out almost a whole box of Cheerios on the floor. I know it's just part of being a kid and testing her boundaries, but I'm a stay at home mom right now. It's not like I have an escape.
I think maybe now that I've tried the yelling and the bribing and the time outs, I might try to attempt some peaceful parenting. I don't know if it will work, but it might make us all feel better than yelling and apologizing. Maybe we can just skip that step.
And maybe I might still yell sometimes. I never said I was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment