Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Costuming a toddler

My child is an opinionated soul in general, but she has no preference when it comes to Halloween costumes. This year, anyway. We looked at Target's costume section, and she seemed to like a bee costume better than anything else, so I decided to make my own. I ordered bee wings and antennae off Amazon, because they were so inexpensive it probably would have cost more to make them.
I decided to make the torso myself out of fleece by tracing another dress that fits her well.
It's not completely finished, but here's what I've gotten done so far.
It's been somewhat of an adventure, because my sewing machine is on the fritz, so I've been hand sewing it. In addition, I had planned to paint the stripes on, but I realized we don't own any paint brushes. So, last night after Cora went to bed, I glued ribbon on with fabric glue.
I still need to sew down the ends of the ribbons on the bodice and do something about the neckline. It's a little too big, so I'm hoping I can figure out a way to gather it a little.
One good thing is, now that Cora's seen it, she likes it a lot. But she wants to wear it all the time, so I had to hide it until it's finished. That will make things more complicated, of course.
Daniel says it looks like a 60s mini-dress, which I think is a compliment. Our toddler will be wearing a turtleneck and pants underneath it, anyhow.
Meanwhile, I'm 29 and this is the first year I haven't come up with a costume for myself. I wanted to make a cape like Katrina Van Tassel wears in the Sleepy Hollow movie, with the grey velvet and embroidered roses, but I don't really have the budget for yards of stretch velvet and satin. My second idea was Titus Andromedon's "Peeno Noir" costume, but I'm not sure I can pull that off in time, either.

 It's surprisingly hard to find gold lame leggings and a sequined top in a small town. I may have to be content with being the uncostumed mom this year.

3 comments:

  1. Titus is the bomb! I'm sure Cora will look adorable. She's lucky to have hand-made!

    ReplyDelete