Sunday, October 18, 2015

Starting a support group??

I recently met up with one of the attendees of my Climb Out of the Darkness event, a wonderful lady who has some experience with running depression and bipolar support groups. She gave me a lot of insight into the requirements of peer-led support groups and some tips to help me be successful when I get things going.
It was an emotional meeting for me. Sharing my story is always cathartic, and sometimes it just sends the floodgates opening. It is such a comfort to be in the company of others who have been through what I went through, and who found supports to make it through to the other side of the darkness.
This person in particular struggled with depression for 17 years. Our stories are different yet similar, as it seems to be with so many women who have gone through postpartum mental disorders. We both had issues with having recently moved and feeling isolated from our families.
I was sharing one part of my history and of course I started crying, and I was apologising and being annoyed at myself, when she told me something interesting. She said never to be embarrassed by showing my honest feelings. It's going to be a change of mindset for me, because as a journalist, the effort is always to keep the focus on your source, and hold off on your own emotional reactions until you can get to the car or wherever. To go from battling to keep that poker face on to unapologetically allowing my emotional reactions to happen will definitely be an adjustment.
I really think having a postpartum depression support group will be beneficial for not only the community, but also myself. My friend said it was a healing experience for her to be able to share with others and to help them, and ever since I clawed my way out of my depression, that's what I have wanted to do as well.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do specifically, but I know my first step will be to get off my bum and apply for the Warrior Mom Ambassador program. I'm a little ashamed that I haven't done so yet, as I've seen so many of my fellow warrior moms proudly making the announcement that they are part of the program.
I also want to be part of the Mental Health First Aid program, but I'm not sure if it is too late to apply.
Once I complete these steps, I think I will be more prepared to be the person at the helm of a postpartum mental disorder support group. I think the biggest challenge for me, aside from overcoming my natural inclination to be an introvert, will be locating others who feel equally qualified to lead the group if I am out of town, etc. The woman I met with said not having more leadership help was what led to the eventual disbanding of her group. My first thought was to clutch her hands and say, "oh, won't you help me?" But she has a lot of charitable activities and artistic activities going on.
The best thing that came out of that meeting for me was the feeling that I have not only a friend, but an ally in this mess. She said I could call or text her any time I'm having a bad day. It's an amazing feeling to have a local person who actually cares about me. I have so much family, so many friends, and so many amazing warrior moms who care, but they're spread out all over the country. It sounds kind of pathetic, but I'm just so glad to have someone right here in town who understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment