Sunday, July 20, 2014

Why I'm not boycotting Hobby Lobby

I'm going to take a bit of a departure today from my usual post of mostly pictures and a few words to ruminate on something I've been thinking about for a while now.
After a good month of consideration, I've come to a conclusion concerning my feelings about the Hobby Lobby and Supreme Court issue.
Anyone with an Internet connection can avail themselves of in depth analysis and details from many viewpoints on what actually happened, but I will attempt to sum up. The Affordable Care Act provides contraception at no cost to its users. Hobby Lobby is a Christian-run corporation and they take issue with providing drugs that they believe cause abortion (even though they do not - Plan B prevents implantation, it doesn't abort a fertilized embryo that has already implanted into the uterine wall). In a Supreme Court case, it was decided that the craft store company doesn't have to facilitate birth control for its employees.
While I believe all women have a right to care for their bodies as they see fit, up to and including safe abortion, after consideration I have decided to continue shopping at our local Hobby Lobby. Does this make me a hypocrite? It's possible, but here's my reasoning.
Hobby Lobby just opened in our community, providing needed jobs to a community with an unemployment rate between 6 and 9 percent in 2014. I won't attempt to speak for the employees of our local store, but I would guess that they aren't put off by the corporation's conservative stance. I will continue to patronize our local businesses before Hobby Lobby when I can. I am lucky to live near two wonderful local fabric stores, but unless I want to drive to St. Louis, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are the only places to buy yarn. I prefer not to buy yarn on the Internet - I like to know what I'm buying for sure.
Also, the customer service at our Hobby Lobby is really dang good. The employees are helpful and kind. It's hard to project the corporation's agenda onto them.
Honestly, at this point in my life, I'm starting to feel a bit politically - not apathetic, but weary? I feel like no matter how long and loud people debate, no one's minds are changing. Our country is polarized and I don't see that changing any time soon.
I know my dollars are basically the only think speaking for me right now, and at this point, I choose to put them into my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment