Thursday, July 10, 2014

The final 15 flowers!

Once again, apologies for late posts. There was the 4th of July, social type things, and my child decided not to let me crochet ever again. Also, I traded in my iPhone for a different phone and I've been reloading all my apps and learning the ropes.
If you've ever switched from iPhone to android or otherwise, you know it takes some getting used to.
Also, I finished off the flower patterns this go-round! I did 15 this time, so it took a bit longer, even though I think I'm crocheting faster.

Since I did so many flowers this time, I think I will just give my thoughts generally about the batches of five. As Inigo Montoya says in "The Princess Bride," "There is too much. Let me sum up."

The Eight-Petal Flower, Large Cluster Flower, Button Gerbera, Hellebore and Traditional Crochet Rose

Favorite: The Hellebore. I like the big, fat petals. Second favorite is the large cluster flower because I get to exercise my cluster-making abilities.
Least favorite: the eight-petal flower. It's just homely. 
Thoughts in general: An easy batch. None were too time-consuming. 

The sunflower, Irish crochet leaf, four-leaf sprig, fern leaf and picot leaf

Favorite: the sunflower and the Irish crochet leaf
Least favorite: the four-leaf sprig. I did it wrong somehow and had to kind of just fake it and sew it together while I was finishing off. 
Thoughts in general: I don't like any of these leaves as well as the one I did way back in patterns 6-10, but the picot leaf turned out better than I thought it was going to. 

The puff stitch flower, simple loop flower, six-petal flower, carnation and chrysanthemum

Favorite: The puff stitch flower. I think it's cute as heck. And it's a new skill! Though I have done popcorn stitches before, i don't know if I have technically done that stitch.
Least favorite: the mum. Though it looks delightfully like the photo in the book, I really hate these flowers that involve long chains of... chains. 
Thoughts: What the hell would you use the carnation for? It's ENORMOUS, like a small cabbage, and unwieldy. It is nice and ruffly, but I can't imagine incorporating it into something wearable. 

So, with these 15 flowers, I have successfully completed one-fourth of the pattern book. The next section is trims, but I really want to take the Crochet Crowd's Stitch-cation challenge, which is to complete a 20-piece afghan by Sept. 1. I also am working on a very important and special secret project, which isn't really a secret as the person receiving it most likely doesn't read this, but just in case I'm going to stay mum. There's no time limit on that, I don't think. But it's going to be really special. I will take pictures of the process so I can write about it once it's done. 

The point is that I'm going to be a very busy little crafter this summer. I will keep you updated!

I have also been working on my Etsy shop a bit, the link for which is on the right side of this blog. I have labels, business cards, and products... all I need is for someone to buy something! I would love input on what I should do - do you like what I have in my shop so far? Do you think I should incorporate some of the patterns i've learned? I'm dying for feedback, folks. I want nothing more than to find a way to stay at home with my daughter during this important years, and if I could also find a way to monetize my passions, that would just be perfect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment