Saturday, February 12, 2011

The cake problem

I've known since I got engaged that I would most likely be getting the services of a professional baker for our wedding cake. My mom used to be a professional cake decorator, and a good one at that, but she is also making my dress, and I want her to be able to have fun at the wedding, not worry about every little detail. I also was concerned about the transportation issue, since my mom lives in Missouri and my wedding will be in Indiana.
I've been worried about the cake for a while due to the wedding magazine industry's insistence that $30 a slice is perfectly reasonable unless you're just completely bourgeoisie. I knew that couldn't be right, but I've been realizing, as soon as you mention the word wedding, prices suddenly increase.
In addition, I've been reading a book called "The DIY Wedding: Celebrate Your Day Your Way." One of the things they mention is having a number of different cakes instead of one giant, expensive, elaborate cake from a baker. The people in the book ordered all their cakes from one baker, but we want to have family members make a couple of cakes to honor their culinary talents. That way, my mom can make a cake, and that will please her, but she doesn't have to have the pressure of the dress and *the* cake on her shoulders. My mom, my cousin, and my fiance's grandma have said they will make cakes for the big day. We will still have a traditional cake to cut for the photo opportunity, but it will be smaller. We will honor our family members who are contributing with a placard saying what kind of cake it is and who made it.
I've been e-mailing back and forth with a baker in my hometown for about a year, about the possibility of them making our wedding cake. When my aunt offered to take over some of the duties and chores involved in wedding planning, calling the baker was one of them. She initially made the call to this bakery, Moxie, and told them about the small cake we wanted.
She said they offered an estimate of $200, and mentioned they were "the only game in town," meaning unless we wanted to order our cake from a grocery store (what's wrong with that??) we would have to pay a delivery charge.
I called them to tell them our plans and find out if $200 was really their estimate for a 30-slice cake. As soon as I mentioned my family members making cakes, this is what the baker told me:
"We don't really have our cakes at events where other cakes will be. We have a reputation to uphold, and if those cakes don't taste good, or don't look good, that could reflect poorly on us."
I said we would look elsewhere, thanked her, and hung up a little abruptly.
I am still slightly incredulous. I would understand if we were having cake from competing bakeries at our wedding, but they're going to be homemade. They will be delicious, but they will obviously be homemade, in baking pans, AND LABELED AS SUCH. I just have to laugh.
The good news is that I was rapidly able to find another baker in the area, Willow Branch Bakery. I e-mailed them and told them our plans, and they're working with me and my fiance to create a custom design based on our invitation designs and cake topper. They're also working with our budget, which is really awesome. I guess sometimes you have to have a jaw-dropping customer service experience before you can appreciate really good customer service from someone else.

3 comments:

  1. What a douche bakery! I'm glad you found a less pretentious one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that bakery sounds ridiculous rorye! the DIY wedding book sounds cool though :) can't' wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw Willow Branch's site...gorgeous cakes!

    ReplyDelete