Monday, February 14, 2011

You're invited!

Planning our wedding has been a humbling process. I don't know if it's supposed to be, but it has been.
I started out thinking I was going to apply my boundless creativity to every aspect of the process. I quickly figured out that my skills only expand so far.
We bought paper products for our invitations early on, because I was confident I could design a beautiful invitation for us with ease, having forgotten the painstaking hours spent in computer labs for my design classes in college.
We initially were leaning toward a Wall-E theme, because it's one of our favorite movies and it's impossibly adorable.
However, Wall-E is really hard to draw, as evidenced by my failed attempts at creating a save-the-date.
After I gave up on Wall-E, we compromised on a bird theme. I trolled the Etsy pages for wedding invitations, looking for inspiration. I bought a 30-day trial to Adobe InDesign in hopes that I would become a good artist in that amount of time. By day three, I'd given up and put out feelers for anyone who would design the invites for me.
I did what's called an alchemy request on Etsy, looking for someone to help me draw the birds for the save-the-dates. Typography and extremely basic things are not beyond my grasp, but I was having an awful time electronically rendering two cute little birds. I set my desired cost at $25.
More than a dozen people applied for the job, which surprised me a lot. On the second day, one of the people whose designs I had admired, arippke, said she would do everything - save the dates, invites and RSVP cards and envelopes for $40.
She's done a beautiful job, and we're going to get the save-the-dates printed tomorrow. Out of respect for her designs, I won't post the original image. I will take some photos when we start stuffing envelopes.
What I've learned is that you can't do everything yourself, but if you spend a little bit of time looking, you will find someone who will be willing to help you out.

1 comment:

  1. I heart Etsy! I think it is just as clever to find someone who is good at handmade items and give them business as it is to do it yourself

    ReplyDelete