Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A tisket, a tasket...

One of the things I haven't done much so far in my wedding planning is support small business, either in my hometown or where I live now. We're trying to save money whenever possible, and one of the double-edged swords of American industry in my (often flawed) point of view is that often, the cheapest options and more choices are offered at bigger businesses.
We are getting the cakes from a small local bakery, but we got the fabric for my dress from a large craft store chain, and the paper goods came from a number of large craft store chains. Our bridal party is getting their dresses and tuxes from two national retailers, in no small part because we have friends and family all over the country. We're getting the food and serving items from Gordon Food Service, a huge company that is all over Canada and the Midwest. I'm not saying I don't like those businesses, in fact, the opposite is true. I'm just saying a little hippie part of me feels bad that our dollars aren't always staying local and small business.
So I'm excited about my flower girl baskets. I just ordered them from a local basket maker and baker, a husband and wife team who are either Amish or Mennonite, and who make lovely baskets. They live in a small town about 10 miles east of where we live.
I had been keeping one eyeball peeled for anything interesting, because I was somewhat underwhelmed with the offerings of the wedding sections of the aforementioned giant craft stores. I know if you put the word wedding on the box, the price goes up at least 10 percent, but the Barbie quality of the snowy satin on the flower girl baskets I've seen so far didn't have me opening my pocketbook.
I know it's a small detail, but I'm excited to have good, handmade baskets that my flower girls can keep when the day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment