Monday, June 23, 2014

Flowers 31-35

Hello and happy Monday! Here are the next five flowers, pictured on my DIY blocking board from yesterday's post.


I think this was the batch where I finally figured out my issues with bunching, which is that I was using a too-small crochet hook with most yarns (I'm inordinately fond of my G6 hook, I'm sorry, it makes me feel fancy) and the result is two of these flowers were made with too-big hooks while I figured things out. 

#31: Long Star Flower



Oh, this one irritated me so. I think it's pretty, but it didn't want to do as it was told. The tutorial for blocking I looked at mentioned that non-natural fibers may not respond well to blocking, and that seemed to be the case with this. As soon as I removed the pins from my board, the flower started to curl up again. C'est la vie. 

Love it, like it, loathe it: Like it. 

Looks like photo: Except for the curling issue, which I'm now positive they solved by working with cotton and blocking the flower

What kind of project would it complement: I don't know, it would look cute sewed onto a denim bag or something, I suppose

Would I make it again: Yes, but not in acrylic yarn


#32: Blossom

Love it, like it, loathe it: like it
Looks like photo: more or less, except for the gap between the first and last petals that really annoys me.
Project it would complement: In this color scheme, it would be lovely as a motif on a baby blanket
Would I make it again: yes

#33: Simple picot flower

Love it, like it, loathe it: Like-like it, but not love it
Looks like photo: Yes, except this is one of the ones I used a too-big crochet hook for - it's a little bit gangly. 
Project it would complement: I honestly don't know. 
Would I make it again: Yes, but not with that yarn. It's a beautiful wool yarn, but I don't think it lends itself to crochet objects. It's better as a scarf or gloves. 

#34: Four-petal flower

Love it, like it, loathe it: Like it. I feel like I'm not loving enough of these, but I really like the rose-shaped ones more than the very, very simple ones like this. 
Looks like photo: Yep, except it's gangly
Project it would complement: I think it would make a darling hair barrette or an accent to a bigger hair bow
Would I make it again: Yes, I likely will

#35: Five-petal flower

Love it, like it, loathe it: Like it
Looks like photo: More than most of my renditions do!
Project it would complement: Any ol' thing. I don't know, guys, I'm not on my imagination A-game right now. 
Would I make it again: Yes.

Programming notice: For the next week, I'm going to be attempting the Market Bag Challenge over at The Crochet Crowd. It was this whole month, but I just decided I was actually going to try to do it. I couldn't find the precise yarn I'm supposed to use, which is Red Heart Luster Sheen, so I'm going to use another Red Heart yarn (I think it's called shimmer, it's sparkly!) and make do. I will be blogging about my efforts, so hopefully no one will be too brokenhearted. 

I'll see you tomorrow! Keep on hookin'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment